Thursday, October 28, 2010

Justice Small Group: 10/27/2010

"The kind of fasting I want calls you to free those who are wrongly imprisoned and to stop oppressing those who work for you. Treat them fairly and give them what they earn. I want you to share your food with the hungry and to welcome poor wanderers into your homes. Give clothes to those who need them, and do not hide from relatives who need your help.

If you do these things, your salvation will come like the dawn. Yes, your healing will come quickly. Your godliness will lead you forward, and the glory of the Lord will protect you from behind. Then when you call, the Lord will answer. “Yes, I am here,” He will quickly reply.

Stop oppressing the helpless and stop making false accusations and spreading vicious rumors! Feed the hungry and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you will be as bright as day.

The Lord will guide you continually, watering your life when you are dry and keeping you healthy, too. You will be like a well-watered garden, like an ever-flowing spring. Your children will rebuild the deserted ruins of your cities. Then you will be known as the people who rebuild their walls and cities."
~Isaiah 58:6-12

//

I'm all wrapped up in that scripture today.  I found it this morning, and may have read it before, but never actually READ it if you know what I mean.  I think it's fascinating that God's leading us on a journey that he has led our forefathers on.

Foreigners seemed to be the topic of the night, mostly in reference to the refugee population that inhabits Ridgecroft...Birchcroft...Birchtree...Elizabeth help me out! (Inside joke).  I think that's unique considering the diverse population in our Justice Small Group.  I want to fight the temptation to jump the gun, but I will say that the addition of 7 new people (who for now shall remain nameless) bring an exceptional level of giftedness partnered with humility.  Some of us have been together for a long time, and we know and are known by each other.  I'm eager to get to know and be known by a new fleet of Kingdom Laborers.  You honor our household ( you know who you are :P ).

Foreigners can branch out into a lot of areas.  Underpaid immigrants.  The abused.  ESL.  Single mothers.  Divorced families.  The trafficked.  Providing groceries.  Tutoring.  You name it, we could do it.  I think it's a God sized vision to be certain.

The request has been made.  Fasting one day a week, however that looks for you, with the intent of emptying yourself, seeking His Face, and meditating on the following scriptures: Leviticus 19:18,1 Samuel 2:8, Psalms 82:3, Proverbs 14:31; 19:17; 21:13; 22:9; 28:27, Isaiah 58:6-11, Matthew 5:43-45; 19:19; 22:39; 25:34-46, Mark 12:31, 2 Corinthians 9:7-15, Ephesians 2:8-10, James 1:27; 2:8; 2:14-24, 1 John 3:17-19, Romans 13:9, Galatians 5:14, 1 Timothy 6:17-19.

I have no inclination to micromanage your spiritual life.  I trust that you will spend time with him and seek the truth.  I wish it were January.  I know I shouldn't, but I do!  I promise, I'll do my best to be right here and right now.
In the meantime, we've got our work cut out for us.  I already can't wait until our next meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment