Friday, November 19, 2010

Wet Toes

This weekend will be our first step into something larger.  I'm trying to keep my expectations in check.  We've seen/done it all, and I know that small and humble beginnings are the way to go.  This is going to be an amazing opportunity to start relationships in a neighborhood that we are going to start planting some roots in.

In preparation for Sunday, keep your hearts focused.  Look for opportunities to help serve, start conversations, pick up trash, fill in where needed.  Be flexible.  This wont be super organized, only borrowing from strategies we already know.  Be ok with that.  Take the initiative to lead and serve upon yourself.  Don't wait for me or Katie or Denis or Lisa or Tracey.  We are a body of leaders.  I want to be flexible enough to get pictures taken for us to document our first steps, so make sure you get there early enough to rally as we set up and get a loose structure.

Thoughts as we go forward:

Me.  This is how I work, so this is a confession and an explanation so you can see and understand me;  when I don't see anyone step forward in instances to take the "baton" (or whatever) of leadership, I take it and move.  This, over time, limits peoples ability to find their niche in leadership/servanthood.  Does that make sense?  I'm not trying to steal a spotlight, I'm trying to keep us moving.  Sometimes that's necessary, sometimes that isn't.  My weakness is, when I'm not careful, I can look over folks.  Forgive me when I do that.

My job is to play middle man between the leadership of our Pastor and our church, and ourselves, which puts me in a spot of communication a lot.  I'm humbled to steward your relationships/thoughts/passions/vision/gifts/leadership as we navigate uncharted territory.   Forgive me my short comings.  I have quite a number of them.

Us.  We are going to spend sometime during our next meetings to get to know each others gifts, and organize our leadership that way.  There are a lot of us, and it's going to take some time, but that's ok.  We need it.

Organization.  Make sure you are following the blog and our Facebook group.  These are the best ways to share thoughts and touch base through the week.   

I love you guys.  Keep humble hearts and minds this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. The excitement is building. I met with a guy today who is very plugged into this whole sub-culture of folk doing ministry with refugees and I am fully expecting a great deal of fruit from that relationship. I think our job as plotters and schemers is to help set "the banquet table" and invite the Renovators to come and dine. The different outreaches and outreaches serve as the dishes. This is gonna be tasty and my appetite is growing.

    ReplyDelete